- 4 cups diced mushrooms shiitake mushrooms add a nice full flavor
- 1 small green bell pepper
- 1 small yellow or white onion
- 2 cups peeled and cubes regular or sweet potatoes
- 2 cups raw walnuts (soaked overnight or boiled for 10 minutes)
- 2 cups cooked brown or green lentils
- 1 healthy pinch each sea salt and black pepper
- 2 Tbsp coconut aminos
- 2 Tbsp vegan Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp liquid smoke (optional)
- 1 Tbsp thyme
- ½ tsp each sea salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- 4 Tbsp avocado or olive oil
- 1-2 cups BBQ sauce (make sure the ingredients are vegan)
- Heat the oven to 375 degrees F
- Line a standard loaf pan with parchment paper or liberally apply coconut oil. Set aside.
- Heat 2 Tbsp of oil in a sauté pan. Then add mushrooms, green bell pepper, and onion until caramelized. Set aside.
- Meanwhile boil the 2 cups of peeled cubed potatoes for 10 minutes until soft. If you are boiling and not soaking walnuts you can add them to the same pot. Drain
- Add nuts to a food processor and pulse a few times into a loose meal. Then add potatoes, mushrooms, green bell pepper, onion, and thyme, and pulse to combine. Lastly, add lentils, salt, and pepper and pulse to loosely combine but be careful not to purée.
- Transfer mixture to a large mixing bowl and add coconut aminos, vegan Worcestershire, and liquid smoke (if using) and stir until a loose dough forms.
- Then add bread crumbs a little at a time until a thick dough forms. If for some reason it’s crumbly (which may happen depending on the texture of your lentils), scoop half of the mixture back into the food processor and pulse until it’s more finely puréed and then return back to the bowl and stir with the remaining mixture. If for some reason it’s too wet, add more bread crumbs as needed.
- Transfer the mixture to the oil or parchment-lined loaf pan, spread, and press into an even layer (to avoid a crumbly loaf, tap pan on counter to settle the mixture and place parchment paper on top and press down firmly with a drinking glass or flat bottomed object to pack it well).
- Top with layer of BBQ sauce
Bake uncovered for 45 minutes or until golden brown on the edges and slightly dry to the touch. Remove from oven and let rest for 10-15 minutes in the pan. Slice and enjoy!